Kate focuses her legal practice on assisting businesses and individuals with employment law matters. She also handles family and criminal defense matters, including OWI representation. Although primarily a trial attorney, Kate works toward settlement before trial when possible as an efficient, low risk resolution for her clients.
She received her undergraduate degree from Hamline University in St. Paul, Minnesota. Before returning to school to earn her law degree from William Mitchell College of Law in St. Paul, Minnesota, she taught elementary school in a bilingual classroom in Las Vegas, Nevada, and worked for Thomson Reuters in Eagan, Minnesota. While in law school, she represented clients as a certified student attorney with the Washington County Public Defender’s Office in Minnesota. Prior to joining Bakke Norman, Kate practiced for five years in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, providing legal representation in the areas of criminal defense, personal injury and general civil litigation.
Kate is a member of the Wisconsin State, Eau Claire County and Chippewa County Bar Associations, a member of the St. Croix County Bar Association board, the Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, is a voting member of the St. Croix County Community Justice Coordinating Counsel and the board of the New Richmond Chamber of Commerce. Kate is also co-author of the “Divorce and Actions Affecting the Family” section of the Wisconsin Attorney’s Desk Reference.
Kate lives in New Richmond, Wisconsin with her husband and two daughters.
Honors and Associations
- Vice President, St. Croix County Bar Association
- Voting Member, St. Croix County Community Justice Coordinating Counsel
- Certified in DWI Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing
- Recipient, 2012 Martin Hanson Memorial Advocates Prize for successful defense at trial for charge of criminal homicide
- Member, Eau Claire County Bar Association
- Member, Chippewa County Bar Associations
- Member, Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Judge, Wisconsin State Mock Trial Competition
- Board Member, New Richmond Chamber of Commerce
News and Publications
- Co-author of the “Divorce and Actions Affecting the Family” section of the Wisconsin Attorney’s Desk Reference (published annually)
- Author/Lecturer, “Handling OWI Cases in Wisconsin,” State Bar of Wisconsin “Build Your Practice” Series (2010)
- William Mitchell College of Law, JD, 2007
- Hamline University, BA, 1998